A covenant is an agreement between two or more people – a kind of promise or pledge to act in a certain way. As members of Alta Vista Baptist Church, we agree to the following:
1. Having been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, we do now in the presence of God, angels, and this assembly most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another, as one body in Christ.
2. We engage, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit:
• to walk together in Christian love;
• to strive for the advancement of this Church in knowledge, holiness and comfort;
• to promote its spirituality and prosperity;
• to sustain its worship ordinances, discipline, and doctrines; and
• to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of its ministry and general expenses, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the Gospel among all nations.
3. We also engage:
• to maintain family and personal devotions;
• to educate our children in the most holy faith;
• to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances;
• to walk circumspectly in the world, to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements and exemplary in our deportment; and
• to be zealous in our efforts to advance the kingdom of our Saviour.
4. We further engage:
• to watch over one another in brotherly love;
• to remember each other in prayer;
• to aid each other in sickness and distress;
• to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech;
• to be slow to take offence, but always ready for reconciliation and mindful of the rules of our Saviour to secure it without delay.
5. We moreover engage that when we remove from this place, we will, as soon as possible, unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.