Service for July 26th, 2020. Preacher: Pastor Greg McCallum.
mp3 link: 20200726_Whatever_It_Takes.mp3
PDF Sermon Notes: James_Whatever_It_Takes.pdf
Text: James 1:19-27
“But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.” – James 1:22
This week’s Life Hack: LUGGAGE
- Everyone Wants to be HEARD (vs. 19-20)
– Hurry up and listen.
“Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish.”
– Proverbs 18:13 (also Proverbs 17:27, 25:12)
- Sometimes We Just Need to Shut our MOUTHS (vs. 21)
– So many people are on edge right now.
“Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.”
– Proverbs 10:19 ( also Proverbs 13:3, 17:28, 21:23)
EXAMPLE = Job 1:22
#1 If You Want A Better Heart Use Your EARS.
*** If we are busy about the mission of God it is easier to forget about ourselves and focus on doing. ***
“So Will I (100 Billion X)” – Hillsong UNITED
- No action = No acceptance of God’s Word (Matthew 7:21, 24-27)
- What’s the point of a Mirror? (Deuteronomy 6:4-9)
- Put Your Face to the Ground (John 8:31-32)
“If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” – John 13:17
#2 Obedience Brings BLESSING.
- True religion is “doing” (Matthew 25:31-46)
- Stay on the Mission (Romans 12:2, 2 Peter 1:3-4)
“Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.” – Isaiah 1:17
#3 DO WHATEVER It Takes.
(For use in personal/family devotions or with your care group)
Q1: Share an example where your words got you in trouble.
Q2: What does it say about our hears that we often find it difficult to listen instead of expressing our opinion? Why is it difficult?
Q3: Outside of church how does Scripture influence how you think and live?
Q4: Why is it deceptive to hear God’s Word and not obey it?
Q5: List some areas of your life where you’ve said you’re willing to obey, but your are not actually obeying. How will you move forward in these areas?
Q6. How have you experienced obedience leading to blessing and freedom in your life?
Q7. Read Matt. 25:31-46. What are some evidences of true followers of Christ? Do you see these evidences (even if not perfect) in your life?
Q8. Read Matt. 7:21-27. How does this passage explain our ability to Hear the word of God and Do the word of God? Both builders heard the gospel!