Service for Sunday 20th September, 2020. Today’s sermon from Pastor Dave Elliott is part two of a series entitled “Lift Up Your Eyes.”
Here is a link to the livestream: https://youtu.be/t3L5SA_BVDQ
Click on this link after 10:25 on Sunday morning to connect to the live stream. The service should start at 10:30.
(mp3 link: 2020-09-20-Why-Look-To-Heaven-part-2.mp3 )
(Printable sermon notes: 2-Why-Part-2.pdf )
WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT HEAVEN…
- YOU ARE OBEYING GOD’S WORD.
- YOU ARE GIVING EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE TRULY SAVED.
- YOU ARE FOLLOWING IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF GENERATIONS OF GODLY PEOPLE.
- YOU ARE INVESTING IN SOMETHING THAT WAS A PRIORITY TO JESUS.
- YOU ARE STRETCHING YOUR BRAIN.
- YOU ARE FUELING THE FIRE OF CHRISTIAN _____________.
Matt 25:14-30 & Luke 19:11-27
If you are faithful with a _________________ you can be entrusted with a __________.
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” (Gal. 6:9)
7. YOU ARE FACING YOUR FINAL _____________.
8. YOU ARE FOCUSING ON THAT WHICH IS TRULY PRECIOUS AND ____________________.
- Your__________________ is in heaven. (Matthew 6:9)
- Your ___________________is in heaven. (Hebrews 9:24)
“Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God’s right hand in the place of honor and power. Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth.” (Colossians 3:1-2)
- Your spiritual _________________ is in heaven. (Hebrews 11)
- Your ___________________ is in heaven. (Luke 10:20)
“I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” (Luke 10:19-20)
- Your ___________________ is in heaven. (I Peter 1:3,4)
- Your ___________________ is in heaven.
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” (Matthew 6:19-20)
- Your ___________________ is in heaven. (Philippians 3:20)
(For personal study, family devotions or Care Group use)
Q1: Many songs/hymns have been written about heaven. Do you have a favourite? If so, what is it and why is it important to you?
Q2: Read Matthew 6:19-21. What do you think the “treasure” is that we are to store up in heaven?
Q3: Pastor David mentioned seven precious things that await us in heaven. Which one means the most to you right now? Why?
Q4: Read I Thessalonians 4:13-18. Are you most excited about the “coming down” or the “going up”? Why?
Q5: Heaven is often portrayed as being a place of boring existence while hell is often depicted as a party-place where everyone wants to go to have a good time. What do you think creates and promotes is this unbiblical, perverted perspective?
Q6: If someone asked you for a simple definition of heaven, what would you say?