Service for October 18th, continuing with Pastor Greg McCallum’s Life Hacks series.
Text: James 2:14-26.
YouTube stream: https://youtu.be/NshAg4Nyzuk
The sermon audio is here.
(Printable notes: James_Living_Faith.pdf )
“For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” – James 2:26
- This week’s Life Hack: Painting
- Faith without Deeds: what good is it? (vs. 14-16)
- “I will pray for you…”
“If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” – 1 John 3:17-18 (Matthew 25:31-46)
- Faith without Action is Dead (vs. 17)
- Faith can only be shown by Doing (vs. 18-19)
- All for God’s glory! (1 Corinthians 10:23-33, Colossians 3:16-17)
#1 Faith SHOWS UP.
*** Your FAITH in Christ expresses itself through ACTION. ***
“As You Find Me” – Hillsong UNITED
“If You want my heart, I won’t second guess
‘Cause I need Your love, More than anything
I’m in, I’m Yours, Your love’s too good to leave me here”
- Faith without Action is Useless (vs. 20)
- Faith in Action example #1: Abraham (vs. 21-23)
- Genesis 22 & Hebrews 11:17-19
- James 2:24 vs. Romans 3:28 (Initial/Final Justification)
“For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.” Romans 3:28
#2 Faith Results in Radical Obedience to Christ.
- Faith in Action example #2: Rahab (vs. 25)
- Joshua 2 & 6:22-25, Hebrews 11:31
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.” – Matthew 14:28-29
- Faith without Deeds is Dead! (vs. 26)
#3 Faith RISKS.
(For use in personal/family devotions or with your care group)
Q1: What is the riskiest thing you have ever done? (Skydiving? Rafting?)
Q2: In light of the COVID-19 situation/restrictions how have you continued to put action to your faith in Jesus?
Q3: What work or spiritual disciplines are you tempted to rely on for a right standing with God?
Q4: Have you had any “God opportunities” for risk taking lately?
Q5: What steps can you take to be a risk taker for God?
Q6: Read Matthew 25:31-46. Has there ever been a time when you regret not helping someone?
Q7: Read Joshua 2 & 6:22-23. What does risking it all for God look like in your life?