Service for April 11, 2021—Pastor Greg McCallum will be speaking from Romans 1:1-17.
The video go live at 10:25 on Sunday morning, with the service proper commencing at 10:30.
Here is the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/bzsNaQAMS-g
The sermon audio is here.
Printable notes: Romans-1-1-17.pdf
“For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile.” – Romans 1:16 (NLT)
WELCOME TO ROME!
1) Introduction to Romans (1:1-7)
- Paul’s letter to the ____________________ (vs. 1 & 7)
- “The center of the known world.”
- This letter is about ________ (vs. 1-7)
- 12 indications in 7 verses! (19 times!)
- Specifically this letter is about God’s _______________
_____________ (vs. 2-7)
- “Sin,” “Salvation,” “Freedom,” “Justification,” “Righteousness,” “Law,” “Faith” “LOVE”
- Paul’s thesis = vs. 5
4 MAJOR Themes in Romans;
- The righteousness of God and the gospel of grace. (1:17; 3:5, 21, 22; 10:3)
- The unity of Jews and Gentiles as one family of God. (1:17; 11:11–24, 14:1–15:13)
- Christ at the center of God’s plan of salvation and the believer’s identification with Jesus in His death and resurrection. (3:21–26, 5:12–21)
- The Holy Spirit. ( 5:5; 8:2-17; 8:26–27; 14:17; 15:13)
“In the cross of Christ, God judges sin and at the same time shows his saving mercy.”
2) The Gospel of Jesus Christ (vs. 8-17)
- The Gospel of Jesus is _______ good news!
- The Gospel of Jesus is _________________!
- The Gospel of Jesus is full of the __________________!
“But, “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.” – 2 Corinthians 10:17-18
“If You want my heart, I won’t second guess.” – As You Find Me
(For use in personal/family devotions or with your care group)
Q1: What was the best vacation you have had?
Q2: When and how did you first come in contact with the gospel?
Q3: We are “called to belong,” in vs. 1:6. How have you experienced that sense of belonging?
Q4: Read Hebrews 10:19-25. In Romans 1:12 Paul says that he hopes that he and the Romans would be “mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.” Why is this valuable to Christians in these days?
Q5: Read 2 Timothy 1:6-10. What do these verses reveal about the power of the gospel of Jesus?
Q6. Paul says in vs. 1:15-16 “I am eager…I am not ashamed of the gospel.” What can you do to express a similar enthusiasm for Christ?
Q7: In verse 1:8 Paul says “I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you.” Who can you thank God for? Take time to do that now.