Alta Vista Baptist Church Service for May 16, 2021. Pastor Greg McCallum will be continuing in the series on the book of Romans.
Join the live stream at 10:25 on Sunday morning: https://youtu.be/gauPsr-fqGE
mp3 link: 20210516_Romans_2_1_11.mp3
Printable notes: Romans-2-1-11.pdf
Text: Romans 2:1-11
“Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. It takes one to know one… But God isn’t so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you’ve done.” – Romans 2:1b-2 (MSG)
- 3 kinds of sinners in Romans 1:18-2:29
a) Those who don’t know/reject God (1:18-32)
b) Those who think they don’t need God (2:1-16)
c) Those who think they can reach God on their own (2:17-29)
8 Truths About God’s Judgement
1) God’s judgment reflects the ____________ (1:1-2)
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you…” (Matthew 7:1-5)
2) There is no _______________ in God’s judgement (vs. 3)
- God does not grade on a curve!
3) God’s kindness leads to life-changing ____________ (vs. 4)
“God’s grace has now appeared. By his grace, God offers to save all people…” (Titus 2:11-12)
4) God’s judgment will lead to the day of His ______ _______ on the unrepentant (vs. 5)
“…I never knew you.” (Matthew 7:21-23)
5) God’s judgement is based on what we have _______, what we ________ and how we ________ (vs. 6-10)
“…If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ…” (1 Peter 4:11)
- 1 Corinthians 10:31, Colossians 3:17
6) God’s judgement is pronounced ______________ (vs. 6-10)
“God’s grace has saved you because of your faith in Christ. Your salvation doesn’t come from anything you do…” (Ephesians 2:8-9)
7) God’s judgement has ____________ consequences (vs. 7-8)
“Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.” Isaiah 45:22 (55:1, 2 Peter 3:9)
8) God judges without ______________ (vs. 11)
- God will judge even-handedly
“And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:8)
“Your love’s too good to leave me here.” – As You Find Me
(For use in personal/family devotions or with your care group)
Q1: Share about a time you felt unfairly judged. How did you feel?
Q2: In what ways might God’s wrath be evident in our world today?
Q3: Read Matthew 7:21-27. Do you have stored up sin to repent of?
Q4: Read the verses from #5. How are you displaying God’s glory?
Q5: In what ways has God blessed you personally? Praise Him for it!
Q6. Who can you being to pray for that they would come to salvation?
Q7: Considering your current personal relationships, what impact does God’s refusal to show favoritism have on you?