Join us this Sunday as Pastor David continues his sermon series through the book of John. Join us in-person or watch the livestream below beginning at 10:30 on Sunday!
- Eating is a ____________________ response to a felt need.
- Eating is a very _____________________ thing.
- Eating is absolutely necessary in order to __________________ from the food.
- Eating determines the ________________
Jesus’ Synagogue Sermon
1. You need more than physical bread to satisfy your hungry soul. (John 6:26,27)
2. My heavenly Father wants to give you bread that will satisfy your soul. (John 6:32)
3. I am that bread that will satisfy your soul. (John 6:35,38,51)
4. You need to eat and drink __________ in order to live forever. (John 6:51-59)
Q1: What do the words of Jesus NOT mean?
- The ____________________ context. (v.51)
- Jesus’ previous ___________________.
- Jesus’ ____________ teaching.
…The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. (I Corinthians 11:23b-26)
Q2: What DO the words of Jesus mean?
“If you’re not willing to “_________________” My sacrifice for you, then you cannot be connected to Me.”
Q3: What do the words of Jesus mean to ME?
Q1: Describe a favourite meal from your past that you really, really enjoyed? What was it about that meal that you savoured so much?
Q2: What is it about food that often brings so much delight to our lives? Can you think of places in scripture where food is used to describe what God’s ultimate and eternal blessing in heaven is like? If so, what passages?
Q3: Re-read John 6:35. Why do you think Jesus talked about two basic needs, hunger and thirst, in relation to Himself? What qualities of physical hunger and thirst can be related to our spiritual needs?
Q4: Jesus requires to “swallow” all of Him…including His sacrifice. What do the following verses teach you about the cross?
Heb.10:11-14; 12:1-2, I Peter 2:24-25, Col. 1:19-20, I Cor. 1:18, 22-24
Q5: Re-read John 6:60. Some of the curious crowd were offended by what Jesus said. What was it that made the teaching of Jesus so “hard”?
Q6: Have you experienced a time in your life when you were tempted to walk away from the Lord but then thought to yourself, “To whom would I go?” If so, describe that time and what it was like to run towards the Lord instead of away.
Q7: Take a moment to listen to the song “Bring the Rain” by the group, Mercy Me.
How does this song connect to John 6:67-69? What does this song declare as the ultimate purpose of our life?