This Sunday Pastor Greg continues through his series on “Jesus People”. This week he is focusing on Mary, Martha and Lazarus. Join us in-person or online at 10:30 am!
Click HERE to download this week’s notes!
1) Martha (Luke 10:38-42)
- Sit vs. Worry
- Listen vs. Distraction
- What is the “only one” thing? (10:42)
“One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.” – Psalm 27:4
2) Lazarus (John 11:1-44) [Sermon from AVBC July 23/2017]
- 4 reasons for this miracle
- For God’s glory/God’s Son glorified through it (vs. 4)
- “So that you [disciples] believe” (vs. 15)
- So that Martha and Mary would believe (vs. 25-32)
- “For the benefit of the people standing here.” (vs. 42)
- Results = John 11:45, 12:9, 17-18
“32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free…
36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” – John 8:31-36
3) Mary (John 12:1-3)
- Lazarus is a picture of every Christian! (vs. 2)
- Mary’s passionate devotion and extravagant worship of Jesus (vs. 3)
- Mary at Jesus feet (Luke 10:39, John 11:32, 12:3)
“For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?” – Mark 8:35-36 (John 12:25)
Q1: Do you identify with most with Martha or Mary in Luke 10? If Martha, how will you become less busy and more often at Jesus’ feet?
Q2: Does your daily routine show that you agree with Jesus that “only one” thing is truly necessary each day, or does it suggest that you don’t agree?
Q3: Read Psalm 27:1-4. Why is it liberating to know that the only thing that the Lord says we must do daily is relate to and spend time with Him? Why?
Q4: What is Jesus really talking about in John 11:9-10? (hint: John 8:12)
Q5: How does Jesus miracle In John 11, and what he accomplished in his own resurrection, give you confidence to share the gospel?
Q6: In what way has God used sickness in your life or the life of another to bring someone (perhaps yourself) closer to Himself?
Q7: How does Mary’s example in John 12:3 help us consider what a right response to Jesus looks like?