Service for June 7th 2020. Sermon: Pastor Greg MacCallum.
Video link: https://youtu.be/jnTqzDpB8CA
Sermon audio link: 20200607_sermon_McCallum_Neutral.mp3
Text: Exodus 32:1-14
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
“The waiting is the hardest part.” – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
1) Life in NEUTRAL (Exodus 32:1-3)
“When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron...” (Exodus 32:1a)
- Neutral living; Israelites, David, A whole bunch of the Kings, Job’s wife, Jonah, The Rich Young Ruler, Pontius Pilate, The GOATS (Matthew 25:44-45)
- We live in Neutral when we;
- Fail to TRUST the Purposes of God (31:1b)
- Forget the GRACE of God (32:2-3)
What does God say about living in Neutral? “PICK A SIDE!”
Matthew 5:13, 6:24, 16:26, 1 John 3:10, Revelation 2:4-5, 3:15-16
2) Life in REVERSE (Exodus 32:4-8)
“He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” (Exodus 32:4)
- Reverse Living: Cain, Pharaoh of Egypt, The Israelites (at times), A whole bunch of the Kings, The Prodigal Son, Pharisees and Jewish Leaders, Saul
- We live in Reverse when we ;
- Distort the WORSHIP of God (32:4-6)
- Exchange the GLORY of God (32:7-8)
What does God say about living in Reverse? (Matthew 12:30-33)
“Come To Me!” Matthew 11:28-30, John 7:37-38, Romans 6:23
“I LOVE You!” John 3:16, Romans 5:8, 1 Peter 3:18, 1 John 4:9-10
“I FORGIVE You!” Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:13-14, 1 John 1:9
3) Life in DRIVE (Exodus 32:9-14)
“But Moses sought the favor of the Lord his God.”– Exodus 32:11a
- Driven Living: Abraham, Moses, Joseph, Nehemiah, some of the Kings, the OT Prophets, Jesus, Peter, Stephen, Paul
- We live in Drive when we;
- Appeal to God’s character and FAITHFULNESS in prayer (32:11-13)
- Seek the WILL of God not our own Selfish Desires in prayer (32:10)
- Believe that God ANSWERS prayer (32:14)
What does God say about living in Drive? “I Will CHANGE You!”
Proverbs 3:5-6, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Philippians 3:13-14
Q1: What are some things/people that our society worships? Are any of those things a temptation for you?
Q2: How does human pride interfere with obedience to God? Why do we resist worshiping God in the way He has prescribed?
Q3: Along with your own personal prayer, what percentage of your prayer life is spent in intercession for others?
Q4: In what ways have you been leaning on your own understanding?
Q5: What areas of your life do you need to acknowledge God and trust Him?