Service for January 3rd, 2021. Pastor Greg McCallum will be continuing his Life Hacks series from the book of James.
Watch the service at https://youtu.be/LuV0ApVasd4.
(mp3 download: 20210103_faith_perseveres.mp3 )
(Printable sermon notes: James-7-Ways-persevere.pdf )
Text: James 5:1-20
“Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.”–James 5:16
- This week’s Life Hack: Vacuuming!
Seven Ways Faith Perseveres
1) Humbleness in midst of God’s Sovereignty (4:13-16)
- “DEO VOLENTE”
- There is nothing outside of God’s will
2) Obedience to God’s Will (4:17)
- Faith that lasts is obedient to God’s will
- Matthew 25:31-46
3) Confident in God’s Justice (5:1-6)
- Wealth, Cheating, Self-Indulgence, Oppression
- Luke 12:13-21
4) Patient in Suffering (5:7-11)
- Like a Farmer (vs. 7-9)
- Like a Prophet (vs. 10-11a)
- Like Job (vs. 11b)
5) Trustworthy in Speech (5:12)
- Matthew 5:33-37
6) Prayerful in Sorrow (5:13-18)
- Pray when you are hurting and happy! (vs. 13)
- Pray for one another (vs. 14-15)
- Pray with one another (vs. 16-18)
7) Loving Towards Sinners (5:19-20)
- Look out for one another
- The truth of Eternal Security
- Eternal Security is accomplished through community
Faith that Works is…
#1 only possible through the gospel of Jesus
#2 played out in the body of Christ (Church)
#3 always leading to God’s glory
(For use in personal/family devotions or with your care group)
Q1: Has there ever been a time where you could relate to the farmer in Luke 12:13-21?
Q2: Share about a time God asked you to be patient? Was it hard? Why?
Q3: Read Matthew 5:33-37. Why is it important to let “your yes be yes?”
Q4: Share about a time when you were hurting or happy and God answered your prayer.
Q5: Is there someone in your life that is wandering from their faith? How will you help bring them back?
Q6: Read the following scripture; John 10:28-29, Romans 5:1-2 & 8:31-39, Hebrews 13:5-8. How do these verses encourage your eternal security?
Q7: Reflect on the year 2020. How have you seen the Lord change you?
Q8: Spend some time praying with and for one another for the New Year.