This Sunday Pastor David returns to his sermon series on the life of Abraham. Join us in-person or online beginning at 10:30.
Click HERE to download this week’s sermon notes.
Minimizing Mistakes (Genesis 16)
Sunday, July 23, 2023 AVBC 10:30 am
1. Sarai’s _____________ (vs. 1-4a)
2. Family ________________ (vs. 4b-6)
3. God’s _________________ (vs. 7-12)
Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.” (Lk 19:9,10)
4. Hagar’s _________________ (vs. 13-14)
5. Abram’s ________________ (vs. 15,16)
1. Mistakes are conceived when we try to handle life’s challenges without the _____________. (vs.1-2)
- This need must be met ____________
- God seems to be moving too _____________
2. Mistakes are preventable if godly people ______________ (v.2b)
3. Mistakes are worsened when __________ by fleshly attitudes and actions (vs.4b-6)
A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. (Proverbs 29:11)
-Psalm 27:14; 38:15; 130:5
4. Mistakes are __________________. (vs.9-14)
God _________ about me right in the middle of a ________________
- Hagar had to ___________ and submit (v.9)
- Sarai had to ____________
- Abram had to ___________ (v.15)
Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all… (Proverbs 3:5-7a)
Q1: Have you ever come up with a “Plan B” because God seemed to be too slow in implementing “Plan A”? If so, explain. What was the outcome?
Q2: Has someone ever had the courage to “intervene” in your life in order to help keep you from making a mistake or a poor decision? How did you respond?
Q3: Is there a specific situation that you are sensing God’s nudge to intervene in a sensitive/godly way? If so, describe. What would hold you back from stepping up?
Q4: Study Proverbs 1:8-16. What kind of intervention is taking place? What intervention principles can you learn and apply to your life?
Q5: When confronted with tough situations do you tend to be arrogant, angry or passive? Does God want to challenge that typical response? If so, how?
Q6: In order to deal with a “mistake” that may be bubbling and brewing in your life right now, is the Lord telling you to submit, accept or obey? Or, something else?
Q7: I Samuel 25 is an interesting story of a mistake being averted because of a courageous intervention. Read it. What truth is God teaching you in this passage?